Wednesday, September 5, 2012

and a reason to feel proud of where I came from Packers pro sho


So where does that leave me? Sitting here Thanksgiving, only my mother and I. The third Thursday of November, and I am a man torn. The Bucs are "my team". As a college kid looking for any excuse to over-do it, I tailgated the Super Bowl at Ray-Jay , just to say I was there, regardless of if it was the Ravens against the Giants. A year later I was knee deep in the pandemonium that swept the bay area after Chucky led us to the promise land packers jerseys. I mean, these were the guys I listened to every week on their radio shows. But what about tradition? How 'Bout Them Cowboys?
Authentic #8 Green Bay Packers White Kid Reebok NFL Jersey Tim Masthay Jersey On Sale
Perched in front of the television with a mound of food waiting to be devoured, I had to make a decision. As a self respecting sports fan, I had to pick a side, and ride that pony hell or high water. I wasn't going to be "that other guy" who is happy either way. That's not what sports are about. You are either elated and obnoxious, pointing out your weekly dominance to anyone in earshot, or you are devastated and obnoxious, spouting obscenities to anyone in earshot (including the dog who has learned the bathtub is probably the safest place on football Sundays). That's what sports is all about. So, what's a guy to do? The gravy is getting cold, and my mom has since given up on finding my crocheted helmet. It was decision time. So, with a conflicted heart, I turned to my mom and said, "You know, I've rooted for those Cowboys every Thanksgiving of my life.
Helmet made of yarn or not, I'm going to root for those Cowboys with you in the name of tradition, and with Texan pride on the line." I made that decision with a heavy heart, for it wasn't easy to root against those Pewter Pirates. But, tradition prevailed this time, along with Dallas, and I dozed off on the sofa with stars (and those famous cheerleaders) dancing in my mind. Next week, I'll still read about the Bucs, and will root them onto the close of what is already a disastrous season. But, for today at least, tradition gives me a bond with my mother, a nostalgic feeling in the only corner of my stomach not occupied by pie, and a reason to feel proud of where I came from Packers pro shop. So, How Bout them Cowboys? How Bout them Cowboys, indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment